Sunday, January 28, 2007

Where will it end?

Last weekend while I was in Chicago, I saw on the news something that I just couldn't believe. This woman in California is trying to pass a bill that would make spanking your kids illegal. This is insane to me. Now, I'm not for beating the bejeezus out of your kids, but spanking can be an effective method in discipline.....sometimes. Sometimes being the key word. Hitting and spanking are two TOTALLY different things in my book. Hitting is with a closed fist and spanking is with an open hand. Hitting is an act of anger and spanking is an act of discipline. Only in our society is it okay to have as many abortions as your little heart can handle but heaven forbid you try to teach your child right from wrong with a spanking. I know that back in the days of our grandparents, children were raised very strict. Sometimes too strict. However, look at the way they respected their parents and other adults. That RESPECT is completely lacking in many of our children today. Spanking is most definitely not the only way a child should be disciplined nor am I any expert in child rearing considering the fact that I have no children myself. My point is that if lawmakers begin taking away parent's rights in how they discpline their children.....then who WILL discipline these children.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet these lawmakers spank their kids!!!!

I TOTALLY agree with you, Cerella. Actually, I couldn't agree with you more. We saw this report when we were in Chicago, too. It was our topic of conversation for about 20 minutes. Hitting is out ofanger, spanking is out of love. You love your child, you want them to do what's right, so you spank. It's discipline. It's not abuse. There is a big difference.

Great post.

Jennifer said...

Amen to that post. I wonder what they will come up with next!

Adrienne said...

Did you realize this law would ONLY pertain to children UNDER 3 years old?

Adrienne said...

"Spanking without an explanation contributes little to discipline. In fact, studies have shown that calm spanking preceded by a rational explanation does less harm and more good than spanking without such reasoning. Explaining the punishment can be therapeutic for both the spanker and the spankee. It helps you decide whether or not your action is appropriate. It makes it less likely that the child will repeat the misbehavior, gives your child a chance to make a judgment about the fairness of the action, and preserves the self-image of the child by treating him as a rational person. The child will feel angry and humiliated about the spanking if he feels that there is no reason for it.
Getting the child to understand why he is being spanked helps to clear the air of angry feelings and contributes to his gaining self-control. If during your explanation you either begin to realize that you have the facts wrong or your heart is telling you there is a better way to deal with the situation, by all means switch to another corrective action and make a mental note to give this whole thing more thought."

****"A child under three will not be able to fully understand your explanation; he'll just know he's being hit and it has something to do with his being bad. He's probably also too young to separate his person from his action, so he'll think he's bad even though you are telling him "that was a bad thing to do."

From AskDrSears.com

I just thought this better explains how I feel. I'm just sayin:)

Cerella said...

Yes, I did know that the law only pertains to children under 3 years old.

Anonymous said...

My parents used to spank and slap my brothers and I, and we turned out just fine...well, except for Jonathan maybe. Hell, my mom heard me rapping a 2 Live Crew song and I had to hold a bar of soap in my mouth a la "A Christmas Story." That's why I never swear anymore.

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it, the bar of soap idea might help you with that New Year's resolution, Cerella :D